Five Tips for Spending Time Wisely in 2023
“The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago.
The second-best time is now.”
- Chinese Proverb
Time is like money in your bank account that can only be withdrawn. It cannot be deposited or saved for a more convenient time tomorrow.
Once you take time out of your lifespan, you are faced with two choices.
1) You can spend it wisely.
2) You can invest it to create more time in the future.
While this seems simple enough, when the pace quickens, and wave season roars in, finding our way back to these principles becomes a challenge.
It's easy to see why your time is under siege.
Clients need constant reassurance.
The entire world is short-staffed.
You are working harder to complete every transaction.
We are craving routines.
The only path forward is one which finds better ways to spend and invest time.
Part One: 5 Tips for Spending Time Wisely
1. DECIDE The most important first step is to decide what you want. When you have clarity on what "better" looks like, in vivid detail, deciding what to do next becomes much easier.
The cost of indecision is that your thoughts take the time you cannot spare.
The average person has about 12,000 to 60,000 thoughts per day. Of those thousands of thoughts,
80% were negative, and 95% were exactly the same repetitive thoughts as the day before.
- National Science Foundation
2. PRIORITIZE. Prioritization is a choice. There are unlimited actions that will generate progress toward your goal. Every day, choose the one thing that will make the biggest difference.
3. ORGANIZE. Get organized on how you manage your day in a way that works for you. After nearly three decades of taking different productivity systems for a spin, I like to pick and choose the things that work for me. Your list will be different. The key is to create your own system. Here are a few that work for me.
a) Get ALL of the options for the day out of my head and onto paper.
b) Group similar tasks together.
c) Assign a meaning to each task. Do I need to do it, do I love to do it, is it easy to do, can someone else do it?
b) Complete tasks before switching tasks, or after 90 minutes, whichever comes first. (See Energize tip below).
c) Block time tasks in 30-minute increments. Estimate how many time blocks a task will take.
d) End your day by starting your next day on paper.
This tip is from travel advisor, Lorraine Robson.
“Before I quit working for the day, I organize my folders or work to be done the next day
in a pile in the order, I need to get things done.”
4. ENERGIZE. Manage tasks and adjust your environment according to your natural energy levels.
1. Block time in your calendar that reflects how you energetically respond to those tasks. For example:
If the task requires focus, block time when your creative energy is the highest.
If people give you energy, block time for interactive activities when you need a boost.
If you need to re-group after lengthy meetings, schedule time to process the influx of information.
2. Change your environment to trigger a flow state. For example:
Find an area that is filled with natural light.
Take a break every 90 minutes. Research shows that 90 minutes is the longest we can commit to a task without a break.
Designate a reading chair
Work in a coffee shop for ambient noise (did you know there’s an App to create this at home?)
5. IMPROVE. Continuously seek better, and more efficient ways of processing your work. That includes testing new ways of doing things and measuring your results. After every customer transaction is complete, ask yourself, what went well, and what would you do differently.
My mentor suggests a "scorecard" after every sales conversation. (email me HERE and I'll send you a copy).
Creating your own system for saving time in your business is a game changer. Find what works for you.
Next week I'll share a system for investing time to create more time in the future!
If you would like to share ideas to help others in the community grow, email me your time-saving tips here!
Thank you for being on this journey with me! Wishing you a year of fulfillment and love in 2023.
Introducing Flying Colours Academy - Our Next Flight Departs on January 26th. Are you ready to make 2023 your BEST year ever? If you are a travel business owner who is prepared for growth, is willing to do the work, and is looking for a qualified instructor/coach/mentor, this may be for you! Introducing Flying Colors Academy - A 90-Day Group Mentorship Program to Transform your Travel Business!
The business of the travel business - work better, not harder, with a dedicated business coach to show you the way!
Better clients, better tools, better you!
A step-by-step system for transforming your travel business. Coaching, mentoring, inspiration, and motivation. We're here for you ... are you ready?
We roll up our sleeves and work ON your business, not in it! This 12-week intensive journey will change the trajectory of your entire year! Class size is limited! Only six spots left for January, Register today!
If you are wondering whether or not you're taking your travel business in the right direction for YOU, you need this course. Looking at your business from the outside in & really putting your goals to paper will bring a huge perspective to your business. This course is a must-do!
Karen Fournier, Travel Business Owner
Register before January 7th and receive our BONUS BUNDLE OF FIVE!
Free bestselling book - Flying Colours OR 10X My Travel Business.
Free one-on-one coaching - bonus strategy session for your business
Free Ideal Customer Worksheet - the first step to finding more and better clients
Free Habits Checklist - tiny habits, huge results
Free Complete Guide to 2023 Goal Setting Workbook
YES! I'm Ready! Click here to Register and receive your Bonus Bundle!
Yes, I am interested but need a bit more clarity if this is the right path for me. book a call here!
If you are interested in receiving a FREE copy of my Goal Setting Workbook email: firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: 2023 Goals!
Order 10X My Travel Business here.
If you know someone who would benefit from reading this newsletter please share this link.
If you are interested in knowing more about my 2023 programs check out: email@example.com